IMPACT HUB CRAWL
Prague & Vienna
January 3 – 16, 2019
Make the world your classroom! Study leadership, community building, and innovation abroad! Explore innovative solutions to society’s most complex problems through cross-cultural perspective. Open to university students from around the world.
“I feel more different, more determined to make a change in the world.”
Alejandra Rodarte, Mexico (read her blog)
“I can’t begin to explain how inspiring and rewarding participating in the HUB Crawl in Prague and Vienna was.” Maesha Shonar, Barnard College (read her Thank You letter).
Highlights of the program include:
- Develop your leadership, innovation, and cross-cultural skills
- Earn academic credit: 3 credits
- Cultural Activities & Site Visits, including United Nations Office
- Meeting with local innovators and social entrepreneurs
- Interactive workshops
Explore how others are “Impacting” change in Prague & Vienna!
How do we mobilize people with diverse interests into a cohesive community? Develop theoretical and practical understanding of how communities utilize innovation to solve complex issues (and apply these to your own understanding of yourself as a leader and innovator). Set in the vibrant cities Prague and Vienna, we have the unique opportunity to visit Impact HUBs, the United Nations, and meet social innovators in these diverse cities. As part of this dynamic course we investigate:
- What is community? How do we build the necessary bonds of trust and reciprocity (social capital)?
- How do you mobilize a community?
- How is innovation a new tool for building strong communities?
- What are the most effective leadership styles for community innovation?
- How does culture affect innovation?
Directly interact with innovators and social innovators in these cities and learn 1) how the culture, politics, and social capital impacts each city’s community development and approach to innovation; and 2) best practices of social innovation and entrepreneurship.
This course is open to all majors.
This course is taught in English and fully accredited and earns 3 US/ 6 ECTS university credits . Transcripts are issued by Charles University, the oldest university in Eastern Europe. Most students are able to transfer credit from the program as long as arrangements are made in advance with their home university. Please consult your home university prior to attending the program for specific details on transferring credit
Did you know: After WWII Vienna was divided into four parts and occupied by the United States, France, the United Kingdom and the Soviet Union? Austria regained independence in 1955 with the Austrian State Treaty.
Explore these vibrant cities through visits to important historical and cultural sites:
- Communist Museum
- Impact HUB
- The renowned Czech cinema
- United Nations, and
- Meetings with social entrepreneurs
And many, many other things you can explore on your own. Skvělý! (Awesome!)
Meals are not included in the price of the program. Prague and Vienna offer several meals options, including cooking at the housing or enjoying the many restaurant options.
Transportation. Prague and Vienna are wonderful walkable cities but also have excellent public transportation systems. You will purchase a transportation pass in Prague (approximately 25USD or 35USD for students over 26) that covers all of your tram, bus, and metro travel. In Vienna you will purchase a 3-day transportation pass (approximately 18 USD).
We understand that study abroad is an important investment in your intellectual and personal growth. Sometimes you need a little help, that’s why we offer a limited number of scholarships. Not full scholarships; but partial scholarships. Scholarships are primarily reserved for students from Eastern Europe and developing countries, but it never hurts to ask (it’s in the application). Check with your school, too. Your study abroad, student activities, honors and/or financial aid office may have resources. Many of our students receive assistance from their universities or community. We will even give you a letter to help you out!
- Submit yourInterest Form to get the process started.
- Submit your Full Application. (Don’t forget applications are ROLLING ADMISSION. This is our 20th Annual Program and we are getting an early start on the admission process. We strongly encourage people to apply early!
- You may be contacted for a follow-up interview
- Spread the word to other high caliber students!
Can I attend multiple programs?
Yes! Each program has unique courses and allows you to continue your leadership journey. Our current record holder, Virginia Campo, has attended 5 programs! When you pair a 4-week with a 2-week program, you earn a discounted tuition rate and you earn a significant portion of the credits needed for the Sullivan Social Entrepreneurship Certificate. Choose from:
- July 1-30 Global Leadership Program Prague (20th Annual!)
- July 1-30 Leadership & Innovation Program Raleigh (includes internship)
- August 1-15 Comparative Study of Peace, Conflict & Religion August 1-15, 2019
- August 1-15 Women & Leadership August 1-15, 2019
After 20 years of catalyzing the next generation of global leaders and change agents, we can’t help but celebrate!
Find us at
RALEIGH, NC 27603